Summer Academy Highlights
Adobe Youth Voices Film Camp
- Over 1 week, 50 Academy students from across art forms collaborated to create ten original films.
- Over just three short weeks, 20 students created 12 original media projects and explored multiple genres (Portrait Documentary, Short Narrative, Music Video, etc.)
- Final projects were screened at the 1st Annual MediaLab Film Festival!
- Students wrote, produced and recorded 6 completely original songs and produced countless instrumentals. Their song writing focused on themes of social justice and creating with purpose.
- Some of these songs were made into music videos and others were used as score material for nearly every original film created in Film Camp this year.
- Students received feedback and guidance from visiting Master Artists Kendrick Dean (Grammy Nominated Music Industry Producer and Songwriter), Abiodun Oyewole (founding member of the legendary Last Poets), and Charissa Rouse (accomplished violinist and vocalist).
- The students produced Horizon Show, a multimedia performance featuring original poetry about love, betrayal, Hip Hop, identity and hope, plus a compilation of poems from the show.
- Master Poets partnered with MAPP International for a Master Class with the cast of Words Become Flesh and with anti-violence organization Connect NYCfor a cultural share.
- Students developed their own rubric and original choreography using their knowledge of various Hip Hop dance styles.
- A culminating performance was held at El Puente Leadership Center.
- The crew developed a media project celebrating their art form during AYV Film Camp.
- The Life Stories Youth Ensemble rehearsed and performed three plays and two musicals at the Lucille Lortel Theater for an audience of 150 and participated in their own version of The 24 Hour Plays creative process with alumni playwrights and guest directors at Theatre Row.
- The students also drove three narrative film projects during AYV Film Camp.
“Well today was the final day of summer camp and the great fun we all had. But this my friends, is only the beginning of what we all can do and what we can all achieve.” – Edwin Salgado, Rising Senior
Congratulations to all of our Summer Academy students for the incredible work they produced this year!