Visual Arts to Provoke Change in Social, Political and Cultural Issues
Emmanuella Aristil, is a teaching artist for M258 where she is teaching a visual arts community service club.
In many cultures artists have used their work to protest, persuade and invoke change in social, political and cultural issues. Students created mixed media paintings that persuade and build awareness on current issues affecting their community. Students explored the works of artists such as Barbara Kruger, Bansky, Wangechi Mutu and much more. These artists have used style and their artistic licence to create pieces that challenge mass media
Student Reflection #1 – Emily D.
My painting represents littering and the eye represents mother nature sad. I used collage material to show the trash around her eyes. The part of the project that I’m most proud of is the eye because it took a lot of effort to cut, draw and research the details. I want my viewers to see that it takes time to make fine work. The two art forms that I learned collage and charcoal. The three things that I did well was the background, the eye. Also, the tear.
Student Reflection #2 – Nikolas B.
My work was trying to introduce protesting. I couldn’t do what I wanted to with a insufficient amount of space. I can’t even remember what I wanted to do. I am proud of the fact that I finished my sketch with pencil. The three things I did well during the creation of this project was drawing, thinking and planning. The part of this project that I could have done better is the part where I had to plan a new idea.
Student Reflection #3 – Abraham L.
My painting is about the government shut down, the message that I was trying to communicate was that the government shut down affected people’s lives, school, crimes, media and families. I’m proud of the hammer and how I outlined with it and added collage materials. I want others to notice the message of my work. I learned how to paint better and use mixed media. The three things that I did well on this project was the white house, hammer, topics and the cracks. That part of this project that I could have done better was spending more time on the outlining of the paint.